Thursday, June 14, 2012

gamechange

oh yeah, i have a blog.


this part is where im supposed to explain why i havent posted anything in a long while but screw that. also, the answer to the riddle of the last entry is the letter a. also, you shouldnt really start a sentence with also but screw that as well. formal writing is raped in this joint.

so, on with the show: i keep realizing how being married and having a kid has change my life, especially being in a workplace populated mostly by single people. now, enumerating and discussing everything that's different between statuses warrant time and effort im not able to provide, so i'll aim the crosshairs on the top of the list: money.

my current job salary is almost the same as my previous job's. and yet back then, the last week before the next payday was when i suddenly would acquire budgeting skills. there were even times when i was actually flat broke on payday eve and slept off the hunger (sometimes id clean up my apartment and hunt for spare change). i used to think fate was being exclusively mean to me, torturing me for my poor finance management. but, as my work friends would attest to, zero-responsibility stable job woes are quite common.  paydays are like divine drizzle to desert dwellers despaired of decades-old drought. (yay alliteration)

anyway, after a year of putting off the purchase and prioritizing family necessities as a good husband and father ought to do, a couple of months ago, i splurged a bit and bought a pc. my first time to buy with my own, hard-earned money. the primary reason for this was pity. pity for myself, having endured the headaches of using an old, ultralow end pc that frequently required excessive force to turn on; and pity for the said pc. at first, all it needed was a gentle shake to start up. but it quickly escalated to punching and kicking it to life. when kratos, the name i chose for the new machine, came i went to the old guy to transfer some files and it miraculously turned on at first button-push. and i was like, too late to plead for your salvation, asshole.

kratos is quite fast and capable. specs are not as  high as a hardcore gamer's but it runs the latest games pretty well. my wife also uses it for photoshop and it runs smoothly. my daughter loves watching the clownfish swim around in the aquarium screensaver. i have yet to used it for video editing but judging by how fast it converts videos (to mp4 for my psp), render duration likely wouldn't be as much of an exercise in timekilling as it used to be. inevitably, it'll start showing its age and decrease in performance a bit, but i have plans to gradually do a few upgrades by then. for now, it's perfect. the workstation thin client i use in the office is its bitch.